2008-01-26

Studied Avoidance...and Follow Me

I am studiously avoiding the list of questions that Phil left me. Not forever, but until my brain doesn't feel like mush any more. Until I don't feel like I'm about 100 years old. I hope that happens soon. My knees are creaky, my back is one big knot, I'm sinusy and headaches and at least 3 kilos too heavy for comfort. I'm mourning my38-year-old self. Because apparently 39 is the Year of Deteriorating as quickly as possibly. Wheeeee. We're off to a great start.

In an abrupt about-face, now I will talk about something serious :)

One of the things that Troy and I firmly believe in is that it is our job as parents to grow our kids spiritually. This is not the job of "the church" although the body of Christ of course does have a crucial role. But we don't subscribe to the "they'll-learn-what-they-need-to-know-once-a-week-in-Sunday-
school" way of thinking. We are in a unique situation because right now our kids are the only regular kids at our very young church. Even so, every time we have a service, we do Godly Play with them. Even if it's just me and the two of them.

We are trying to weave Christ into their everyday life as much as possible. Every week-day morning (our weekends are more unstructured) we say morning prayers together from Celtic Daily Prayer. Evenings are also more flexible depending on what we have going, but we often also say evening prayers from the same book. Our community knows that if you are at the Cady home at bed-time, they'll be handed a sheet with the prayers and invited to join in bedtime prayers, hugs and kisses. For me, those evenings are one of the best and most beautiful experiences of church.

For Christmas, we gave Meaghan four books that we use for discipleship in our church. They were developed by the late Robert E. Webber. (We first met Dr. Webber when Troy was in grad school and became Dr. Webber's T.A.) The series is called Journey to Jesus, and the four books are called Follow Me, Be My Disciple, Walk in the Spirit, and Find Your Gift. Every week she reads through the chapter, and meets with her Daddy on the weekends to talk about what she read that week. As she completes each book (and feels ready), we'll celebrate with her with different rites of passage, the Rite of Conversion, The Rite of Covenant, Baptism, and then the beginning of "a long obedience in the same direction." I found it interesting just now that I have been reading Eugene Peterson's book by that same title, and I didn't know that Webber used the same phrase until I got the books out just now.

I think it's pretty amazing that both Meaghan and I are on this journey together, although at different stages, to a long obedience in the same direction.

No comments: