2007-09-24

Right Place, Right Time

Nic's speech therapy has cost us more than just the therapy, because we often end up spending money while we kill the hour that he is working with Miss Julie. Sometimes at Starbucks, sometimes at VIPS.

Last week, I was determined to make it a cheap hour. I took a bottle of water and a book with me. After I took care of some banking, I headed back down the street. I was on the opposite side of the street than I normally walked on, but I found an empty bench and sat down to read my book.

Not much later, a weary looking couple trudged up and plunked down on the bench beside me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the woman tap her husband and ask for something. He was leaning over in a dejected fashion.

The woman turned to me and asked me hesitantly, "Do you speak English?" When I answered her, the relief on her face was beaming.

Turns out they were Irish, on holiday in Madrid and they were trying to figure out how to get back to their hotel. According to them, they didn't speak a word of Spanish. We had a nice little chat and I pointed them back in the direction of their hotel.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think God put me on that bench for a reason. I think He knew that couple was tired and deflated and brightened their day by putting little ole English speaking me smack dab on their bench.

He's pretty cool that way.

No comments: