2007-09-03

No Condemnation

I actually have something fairly deep to say, but first, a public service announcement. If you like coffee, and you like chocolate, I suggest you try a bag of these; they are only around for a limited time! I think my favorite are still the chocolate mint (I think those were limited too, maybe just for Christmas) and the caramel ones. But these are pretty dang good too :)


And now, back to our programing.

Even though I got up and as Troy says "got cracking", (made the bed as soon as I got up, got dressed, but a load of wash in) the day deteriorated pretty quickly. I checked our Spanish account online (I'm always a bit jittery until I know the rent has been taken out, because I don't have any control of when it comes out) and found that they had taken out my quarterly health insurance BEFORE they paid rent. So I was now seriously short. So I had to scramble around for extra cash and run to the bank again before staff meeting to deposit more money. Of course, the banking day closed without rent clearing, so I am just praying rent goes out first thing in the morning before some other bill clears and makes me repeat the process again! And of course since today is Labor Day in America, the money I transferred from savings is not going to show up in our account for the next couple of days. Oh the joys!

Anyway, I was beating up on myself pretty well, for not being more organized, etc. etc. and blah blah blah.

This morning we had a worship and prayer staff meeting, which as usual meant a lot of sharing, some sniffly tears, some singing and lots of prayer.

During our worship time I was suddenly struck by the fact that I very quickly listen to the voice of condemnation. These verses came to mind:
"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8:1-2
I very often do not allow myself to live this out. Even when the voice of condemnation is mine alone, I allow it to drown out the voice of God, the voice of grace. This is not to say that I should not hold myself accountable for my actions, but the fact that I almost immediately jump to self-recriminations.

Interesting isn't it?

I'm sure I could have put that all more eloquently, but it's the end of a long work-day and my brain is slightly fried from sending out our monthly update. So more on this topic later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
I love it when God does stuff like this! I have had a few experiences of my own like this recently and I am so thankful that God takes the time to send me reminders. Say HI to the fam. I love you all!

Blessings and Prayers,
Jess (your favorite niece)

Laura said...

You don't sound unorganized at all! But I can understand why you would have felt frazzled in that money stuff. Blech - I hate money and all the anxiety that goes with it.

Thanks for your good word about condemnation. I very quickly listen to that voice too. Good to hear the TRUTH that in Christ, there is nothing to hear.

Laura said...

Also - I have not seen those Hershey's Kisses here in Qatar. Oh my word - if I could get one, holy cow. Coffee/Special Dark chocolate: I pretty much wake up in the morning for both of those things.