2007-06-20

Being Present

I was waiting for the bus to go to community group (because the 120 bus loves me, but the 40 hates me; but that is another post altogether.) At the bus stop, there was a Mom and 2 kids who were out of control. The boy was perhaps 11 or 12, and the year 9 or 10. It actually took me awhile to figure out who their Mom was because she was sitting on the bench talking on her mobile (cell phone), completely oblivious to the way her kids were acting. They were running around through the group of people waiting, hitting and kicking each other, ripping and throwing around some brochures that they found and generally just being cheeky. The girl actually pretended to kick me as I joined the group. I didn't say anything. I was actually a little concerned from their safety because they were pushing each other around right on the edge of the sidewalk, and the street is a major one that is very busy.

After a few minutes of this, two older Spanish women came to the bus stop and suffered similar treatment from the pair of them. They were not impressed. They looked at the kids, looked pointedly at the mother, then made a few comments about the behavior of both the Mom and the little girl especially.

"Descarada."

(
descarado,-a
I adj (insolente) cheeky, insolent
(desvergonzado) shameless

II m,f cheeky person

"Maleducada"

maleducado,-a

I adj bad-mannered
II m,f bad-mannered person

They muttered about how the Mom was talking on her phone. The implication of maleducada is actually heavy on the Mom's lack of input into her kids' lives.

I tried not to pass judgement on the Mom, because I'd be a hypocrite to say that my kids always behave the right way. It did really make me stop and think though, about really being present in the lives of my kids. Sometimes it may be tempting to check out temporarily, but that's never good for the kids OR me.

I also was very grateful that I can raise my kids with God's help, and that I have a husband who is also fully present in the process.

Today I said a prayer for that Mom, that somehow things in her life would be a little less chaotic today.

No comments: