2007-04-04

Stepping up to the challenge

Since we moved last summer, I have still not gotten my office space organized to my liking. We downsized from a huge town-house to a comfortable apartment (which I dearly love) so our storage and living space requires that I really use my noggin to use it wisely.

So here are the before photos of my part of our office. As you can see, my desk is rarely cleared, and in order to find things I have to often dig through piles. Even though I have organized it a couple of times, I still have not found a good system that really works. One of the problems is that my office space serves various purposes
  • For my personal stuff
  • For my "church" work
  • For our "missionary" stuff (support-raising, contact with supporters, etc.)
  • My craft/scrapbooking stuff (although at the moment my scrapbooking normally takes place at my dining room table so right now most of my stuff is stored in bins in our entry-way closet, but I'm not so happy with that arrangement.)


1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?

I want my space to work well for all the purposes above

2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?

I think I have enough organizing tools (drawers, folders etc.) I just need to use them more wisely.

3. What can I remove from the room?

Clutter! I need to only keep what I can really used and if there are things I want to keep but do not use in the area I need to find another place for it.

4. What problems do I see with the room?

Mainly limited space. I have to make this amount of space work.

5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?

Not sure at the moment, we'll see what comes up as I work on it.

6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?
  • Not allowing my desk to pile up (I think I need a "holding" place for things so that I don't just pile everything on my desk. This normally happens when we are cleaning up for company or something and everything that is mine just gets thrown on my desk. After awhile the pile becomes a major project to deal with
  • If it does pile up, working on it 15 minutes at a time so I don't get overwhelmed.
7. What kind of a budget do I have to create the organized room of my dreams?

Not much :) No furniture, maybe small things like folders etc.

8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room?

3 weeks should do it

9. What is my plan of action?

First I am going to sit down and evaluate what I need for each of these "tasks".
If necessary I will empty the bookshelf and drawers so I can start with a clean slate.
I need to give myself the permission to try things out to see if they work before I decide how to do things for sure.

5 comments:

Misslionheart said...

Well, this really is a challenge! Not sure I could do it!

All the best

Clare

Deanne said...

Good luck with the challenge! A well-organized office area is so helpful when doing work! You can do it! Remember to enlist help as needed! And for those "Quick! Company's coming!" moments, maybe a largish box that could be stored under your desk (or collapsible crate things ~ something along those lines) to stash everything in so that it doesn't clutter up your desk and keeps it somewhat limited. You wouldn't be able to let it grow too much (confined to the area of the box) before you'd HAVE to work on it, make sense? Anyhow, just an idea I thought of when I was reading. (I should do that for my desk! LOL)

Nadine said...

Well I say a pray that you can accomplish your challenge.

MonkeyKisses - Liz said...

Happy Cleaning@!! Looks like you have your work cut out for you!!!

org junkie said...

Hi! I love reading everyone's answers to those questions! Yes removing everything from the shelves and desk area will in the long run make it much quicker and easier for you to objectively evaluate what to keep and give you a fresh idea of the space you want to create. Love all your containers!

Thanks so much for participating.
Laura