So here are the before photos of my part of our office. As you can see, my desk is rarely cleared, and in order to find things I have to often dig through piles. Even though I have organized it a couple of times, I still have not found a good system that really works. One of the problems is that my office space serves various purposes
- For my personal stuff
- For my "church" work
- For our "missionary" stuff (support-raising, contact with supporters, etc.)
- My craft/scrapbooking stuff (although at the moment my scrapbooking normally takes place at my dining room table so right now most of my stuff is stored in bins in our entry-way closet, but I'm not so happy with that arrangement.)
1. What do I want the purpose of my room or area to be?
I want my space to work well for all the purposes above
2. What do I need in or near the room to serve that purpose?
I think I have enough organizing tools (drawers, folders etc.) I just need to use them more wisely.
3. What can I remove from the room?
Clutter! I need to only keep what I can really used and if there are things I want to keep but do not use in the area I need to find another place for it.
4. What problems do I see with the room?
Mainly limited space. I have to make this amount of space work.
5. What organizational tools might solve those problems?
Not sure at the moment, we'll see what comes up as I work on it.
6. What habits need to change to solve the organizational problems?
- Not allowing my desk to pile up (I think I need a "holding" place for things so that I don't just pile everything on my desk. This normally happens when we are cleaning up for company or something and everything that is mine just gets thrown on my desk. After awhile the pile becomes a major project to deal with
- If it does pile up, working on it 15 minutes at a time so I don't get overwhelmed.
Not much :) No furniture, maybe small things like folders etc.
8. What kind of a timeline is necessary to organize the room?
3 weeks should do it
9. What is my plan of action?
First I am going to sit down and evaluate what I need for each of these "tasks".
If necessary I will empty the bookshelf and drawers so I can start with a clean slate.
I need to give myself the permission to try things out to see if they work before I decide how to do things for sure.