2007-04-29

A prayer for the church in Turkey

A couple of weeks ago, there was an article on CNN about killings in Turkey of several Christian men. I read it but did not really grasp the depth of it, or the meaning.

Yesterday, we got a forwarded email written by a pastor in Turkey, telling the full story of these martyred men who died for Jesus. It was disturbing and graphic and sobering.

It made me ashamed about the things I fret about, the things that stress me. How blessed and easy my life is.

I am not sure if the email should be posted, but if you are interested, email me and I'll send it to you.

In the meantime, today I am saying a prayer for our brothers and sisters who must worship in secret, who give their lives for Jesus.

May God protect them and give them mercy.

3 comments:

Jenn said...

we have friends of ours who are tentmakers in Turkey. It is frightening and amazing the stories that they have.
We pray for ALL of our missionary friends and family regularly :)

Elizabeth said...

I'm relieved you didn't post this letter and feel quite cautious about the offer to forward it. We received it yesterday morning too, were quite thrown by the graphic description, and wonder at the wisdom of passing it around.

There are 2 questions that flew into our heads. Is it really a true account? If so, what is the purpose of sharing such grusome details? Certainly the widow's offer of forgiveness is commendable but the details of the tortures, if true, can only stir up negativity towards the perpetrators. The letter contains significant details which conflict with Christianity Today's article www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/aprilweb-only/116-52.0.html and that got me questioning both its validity and the purpose behind it.

If the letter is cleverly disguised spam, we need to treat it wisely. I probably would have spent some time to validate the sources but my husband, feeling strong in his reaction, deleted it from my computer right away. Maybe I'm stirring up some controversy. Give it some thought and I'm interested in how you think.

Heather said...

Elizabeth, as always, you are wise :) I have done some research, and I don't think this is spam. I've found it on quite a few Christian sites (not blogs)and some have edited out the graphic parts. Either way, I won't be forwarding it.

Thanks for the challenge.