2007-01-01

Resolute

It seems like it's the time of year to post all sorts of ways I hope to improve this year. Troy and I were talking early this morning after we got in bed how it's strange to us how people grasp at the beginning of a new year as a chance for a fresh start like no other day. I mean, who's to say that you can't do the same thing on any given Wednesday, or your birthday, or any other day of the year (actually, that's of my favorite things about a relationship with Christ: each day is a new beginning). Anyway, I digress.

I do have some goals for the coming weeks, but they are extensions of my desires to live more simply, more healthily, more in tune with Jesus. And I have begun to learn that setting elaborate expectations in place for myself only hinders me from making any significant improvement. So I'll keep them to myself for now :)

I was reading a friend's blog, and she posted the entire Serenity Prayer. I never knew there was more, but it resonated with me. There are a few slightly different versions and stories concerning this prayer, but either way, this resonated with me.
"God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time
enjoying one moment at a time
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace
taking as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is
not as I would have it

Trusting that you will make all things right
if I surrender to your will
so that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with you forever
in the next.

Amen.

Reinhold Neibuhr"





No comments: