2006-12-21

A long winter's nap

It feels like it's really getting to be Christmas now. The kids got out at 1 today, and as promised, we took them to a Chinese restaurant a block away that has an aquarium in the floor under part of it. Then we came home and I had a wonderful long nap.

Tomorrow I have to finish up stocking shopping, wrap stuff, and do my big grocery shopping. In the evening we're going out with friends for dinner.

I am feeling very protective of this beautiful little boy. Not too unexpectedly, Nic's report card was not very positive. Then on Wednesday morning, the woman who will be doing Nic's assessment called to make an appointment for next week for us to meet with her before she sees Nic. I just want to say that we really do want to get this done; if Nic really has learning issues then we want to deal with them. But my heart is not thrilled at having to deal with this at Christmas-time. I know he has issues. But my mother's heart balks at having a stranger who knows nothing about him spend a tiny amount of time with him and then summarizing my son. I'd like to wrap him in a cozy blanket and sit with him on the couch in the dark and look at the tree lights together for at least a month, and then maybe I'll be willing to face this.

Nic with Alleke Grace

On a happier note, my package from Lucy just arrived, so I have my roasting bags for my turkey on Monday. Yay! Lisa, our prayers were answered :) At last count it seems we will be having at least 20 people around our table for Christmas dinner, which is just the way I like it. We're excited that a family we know from school from India who live only a block away will be joining us.

I did not get all my Christmas letters ready to send to the US for cheaper postage, so now I have to decide what to do with the rest! I can't face paying $1.00 per envelope from here! It may be that the rest have to be electronic!

Anyway, time to get the kids some dinner.


No comments: