2006-12-30

Crazy World

This morning I got up (late) to the news that Saddam Hussein had been hanged, and that a car bomb had exploded in the parking garage of our new terminal 4 of Barajas airport. First of all just wanted to let everyone know that we're safe and sound. So far there have only been injuries from the bomb blast (the authorities received a phone calling with a warning). It appears that ETA, the Basque separatist group is responsible, although they have had a ceasefire in place lately.

It's just senseless, because it's such a cowardly way to cause fear, panic, and material damage. For almost 40 years this group has been resorting to violence. So far it has not earned them any sympathy or many results.

I wonder where these people are today. I would imagine they are hiding, completely on edge in case they are discovered. I can't imagine that this feels like a very honorable way to be living life. It makes me sad for them.

Thankfully, we live life with the Peace of Christ in our hearts. Despite the violence in the world, I do not have to worry about my safety. Instead, I could chuckle with my kids as they watched Road Runner cartoons for probably the first time this morning. I can start the dough for cinnamon rolls in the bread maker. I can revel in Meg's enthusiasm for being able to ride her bike and her plans to play more with the other kids in the building this summer ("Now I can play with them in the pool AND on bikes!")

May God bring His peace.

5 comments:

bobbie said...

so glad you're safe - i came as soon as i saw the news.

Heather said...

Thanks for thinking of us bobbie!

It's crazy, but honestly, we have a better chance of dying in a car wreck on Spanish roads than being touched by terrorism.

Still, it's sobering.

Hugs! Enjoy your visit with Erin :)

David said...

My own experience goes against the grain of your probabilities estimate, Heather. On reflection, it appears to have been touched more by terrorism than by car wrecks.

Although my son and his family were involved in a near fatal road accident a couple of years ago, thankfully none of my family members or close friends have actually been killed in a car crash.

However, some time ago a young Christian friend was killed as a result of an ETA terrorist attack. During his military service, Paco was driving a car with two top army officials who were the targets of the attack.

A number of personal acquaintances were also (fortunately, surviving) victims of the 3/11 Madrid bombings a few years ago.

Going back to the early 70s, I was working just round the corner when an ETA bomb blasted the then Spanish Prime Minister, Carrero Blanco, and his car clear over the rooftops of a 4-storey building in Madrid.

By the way, your reference to ETA as "the Basque separatist group" is typical PC speech commonly used by the BBC, for instance. Spanish press, on the other hand, tends to position itself politically by using the phrase "Basque terrorist organization". Having witnessed the aftermath of numerous ETA attacks, similar to that of last Saturday, during my 34 years as a resident in Spain, I am personally much more inclined to follow the more 'biased' position of the Spanish press.

Heather said...

I'm sorry David, that your life has been so touched by terrorism.

And yes, ETA is a terrorist group!

David said...

Well, I don't think that my life has been so touched by terrorism. I have never perceived myself to be a terrorist victim. Not anthing like the two poor Ecuatorians, for example, who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time on Saturday, and are direct victims (even if not 'targets') of ETA's senseless car bomb attack at Barajas airport. Or their families who, at the time of writing, have virtually abandoned the last shred of hope of finding the boys alive.

My point is that relatively speaking my life seems to have been touched more by terrorism than by road accidents, rather than the other way round - which was what you implied to be generally true in your comment that "we have a better chance of dying in a car wreck on Spanish roads than being touched by terrorism". I feel that my experience may not be that uncommon in Spain, as of course in many other parts of the world. Terrorism has always been high up in the list of major concerns for Spaniards - and more so now that ETA seems to have broken their ceasefire.