2005-11-15

Role Reversal

Today was a day of role reversals for my children. Meaghan is usually the easy one, the one that is cheery and mostly agreeable. Nic is the one that sometimes makes me want to tear my hair out.

For example, today he started the day with a bang. Literally. He came and
crawled into bed with us and immediately began whining about not wanting to go to school. I warned him that he shouldn't say it again or I would spank. "But Mooooooooooooom..." so I spanked him. Sigh. Not the best way to start the day.

When I went to pick him up from guarderia at 1, he came out with the class puppets, Ana and Manolo. Apparently the boy behaved remarkably well today; the best in the class. As a result, he got to bring the puppets home overnight to play with. He also got TWO suns on his paper. Wow. He was grinning from ear to ear and proudly told us repeatedly that he had made Jesus VERY VERY happy today. We agreed!

At 4:00 I had an appointment
with the head teacher in the Spanish department at Meg's school to discuss what I can do to help her at home with her Spanish. She really struggles with it and it stresses her out quite a bit. I haven't been overly happy with the lack of help she has been getting.

Instead, I hear again that despite some serious conversations, Meg still tends to be a loner on the playground. Even when other kids want to play with her. Now I can relate to this; I was just like her when I was a kid. Not anti-social; but happy to entertain myself when neces
sary. Because she had a rough start at school, and because most of her class speaks Spanish on the playground, she got into an early habit of playing on her own.

So now we have to work on breaking this habit, this hesitancy to engage with the other kids on the playground. All her teachers agree that it's the root of her struggle with Spanish.

Sigh. Anyway, Meg could use your prayers a
s we really start working hard on changing this behavior.

My two blessings at bed-time tonight:

2 comments:

cm said...

Its so hard when we're concerned about our kids. Meg is a lovely girl. I'll definitely be praying about this. Love you.

Jenn said...

They are beautiful kids Heather!! Nic looks so proud with his puppets.