2005-09-02

After Katrina

I have a hard time imagining what the people in the southern US are going through right now. Today while I rode the air-conditioned train into Madrid, people did not even have enough water to drink. While I sat in my friend Kelly's awesome new apartment (which God gave her) people were sifting through what was left of their homes and belongings. While I took my time wandering around Carrefour (like a super Walmart) people were trudging through nasty water trying to get to higher ground, to somewhere where there might be food, water, a working bathroom or transportation out of the worst nightmare they could imagine.

It's times like this when I feel so helpless. Sure, my financial donation will help. A little. Thankfully we're already used to paying more than $4.50 a gallon of gas. But what I would really like is to open our home to someone that lost theirs. Or go down there and help pass out food. Or drive a bus full of people away to something, somewhere less horrible.

My friend Mary inspired me to join this group of bloggers trying to get people to help however they can. My friend Jenn is doing what she can to raise money to give.

There are loads of organizations out there where you can give. So many it's hard to know which to pick, but check out Samaritan's Purse as a good option.

My week has been full of all manner of insignificant things. I hope that I am thankful for each of them.

No comments: