2005-08-19

The Divine Expedition

The theme for our staff conference in Holland (August 8-12) this year was "The Divine Expedition," a journey through the book of Romans.
During the week, we watched a series of video clips of actual mountain-climbers. Sometimes I thought these people were a little insane, putting themselves through all sorts of torture just to reach the top of a mountain. I'm no sure you could make me enough money to climb a mountain.

But here is the thing: God has called me on a divine expedition. Not only as a Christian, but as a church-planter in Spain. As I told my small group during staff conference, sometimes I feel like I have found myself half-way up a cold, snowy mountain only to discover that I am wearing shorts, flip-flops and have not even brought a water bottle with me. HOW DID I GET HERE?

And yet there are lots of days when I feel like not only am I nowhere near a base camp halfway up the mountain, but I am in a valley where I am overwhelmed with the many details of daily life. I feel overwhelmed by the crazy schedule I am going to keep this coming school year with Nic starting school full-time and yet still coming home for lunch. I feel like I don't have the strength in takes to be a consistent parent to an extremely stubborn five-year-old boy who will be plunged into the world of Spanish five-year-old boys and the effects of a completely different environment of acceptable behavior. I worry that I didn't really make any progress this summer in helping Meaghan with her Spanish. I'm physically tired; worn-out from a cold. I know I need to eat better and start exercising again.

It doesn't seem like I am anywhere near ready for an expedition up an ant-hill, let alone a mountain. But I'm going. So that's why the new title for my blog, and the picture of my Mom's favorite mountain in Ecuador where I grew up. I am determined that this year I will do what it takes to find myself half-way up the mountain, with proper gear and finding myself not in too bad shape.

A few years ago our friends Joe & Donna introduced us to a band called Selah
. I have found their music to be hugely encouraging time and time again. This afternoon, these words really lifted my spirits:

"When the valley is deep
When the mountain is steep
When the body is weary
When we stumble and fall


When the choices are hard
When we're battered and scarred
When we've spent our resources
When we've given our all

Chorus:
In Jesus' name, we press on
In Jesus' name, we press on
Dear Lord, with the prize

Clear before our eyes

We find the strength to press on"

(Dan Burgess)

Onward and upward!

3 comments:

Troy said...

Amen and amen!

Troy

Jenn said...

Hey Heather, sometimes I feel ill-equipped to be a mother, let alone a mother trying to raise Godly men.
All we are asked to do is to be willing. To do the best we can.
One of my good friends has a daughter named Selah :)
I'm secretly hoping one of my boys marries her one day, she's such a little cutie ;)
-jenn

Sophie said...

Oh Heather, I feel for you...theres nothing like a good old cold to bog you down! Eat well, excercise...I hear you! Look forward to journying with you.

God lead us up the mountain to where your glory dwells.
Keep on keeping on girlfriend!