2005-06-28

Class of 87

Remarkably, I got an email yesterday containing a string of messages from friends from high school. Apparently there is rumbling about starting to plan our, ahem, 20-year reunion. I have to say I found that a bit shocking. I mean, really! How did it come to this? I am fully aware that I will turn 37 in less than half a year, and my age really doesn't bother me. But it's hard to wrap my head around the fact that I have been out of high school for almost 20 years. WOW!

Maybe it's hard to believe because my class has really kept in touch, so a reunion is a chance to hang out together more instead of showing up to see how much people have changed since you last saw them 20 years ago. I have to say I'm glad that these friends are the ones who have stuck with me for 20 years. I'm glad to have met their husbands and wives, and their kids.

College was fun, but I met very few people that "got" the level of friendship that I still share with many people I went to high school with. It made me realize how special those friendships are, and how grateful I am for them.

I'm not very hopeful about being able to attend the reunion since we'll be in Spain, but I still think it's great.


No comments: