2005-03-11

That Oswald!

I am not a risk-taker. I don't do roller coasters or donuts in parking lots. I don't like being in water over my head and I certainly don't surf! I know that for some people, the picture below would be inspiring. I know people that would be grabbing their boards and going for it. It makes me think of how nice it is to relax on the beach and watch the waves roll in and be slowly lulled to sleep by the rhythm of the surf.
Waves Posted by Hello
A few days ago we were doing morning devotions with the kids. One of the books we are using is "Jesus Wants All of Me" which is basically "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers for kids. This is what the entry said:
Surf's Up "Trouble will come. But I will not be afraid. The wind will blow. The waves will crash. I will not run away. I will grab my surfboard. I will run for the water. I will stand up and ride. Whee! Nothing can separate me from the love of God."

Yikes! This is NOT my reaction to waves, or to trouble. I am afraid, I do run away. I cower on the beach with my towel over my head. I ask God to take the trouble away and bring out the sun again. I do not own a surfboard and it's not on my list of things to buy. And even if I did, I would probably cling to it for dear life, flat on my belly. There would be no standing up and riding.

There are all kinds of waves in my life. Some are small and can break against me without me really noticing. But there are some that tower over my head and threaten to crush me as they break. What am I going to do with those waves when they come?

I think the Lord is challenging me. And you know what? He doesn't expect me to become an expert surfer with the first wave that hits. But he IS asking me to at least maybe go browse in a surf shop. I bet they have a board my size.

2 comments:

Anskov said...

Junebug - Let me know when you're going to the surf shop; I need a board as well (although I'd rather buy a big beach blanket and stay on the shore too)!

Troy said...

That is a beautiful piece of writing, my love. I can really relate.

T