2005-02-06

Restoration at the hand of my Shepherd

My husband laughs at me because my blog is often about in his words "how pathetic my life is." Well, you know, if you don't laugh about those days, you cry. Anyway, today was a cozy day so I thought maybe I should write about THAT! And to be honest, writing is sort of like eating sushi for me. The more I do it, the more I crave it. After posting yesterday I really wanted to be able to write something more today.

Lest you think the day is TOO cozy, we'll see how well this goes. Troy is out to another community group and the dog is driving me crazy and I'm sort of trying to help Meg with her homework while I write this. Nic is actually being very helpful and putting all the dog's food back in her bowl. I don't know what it is with her, but she loves to paw her bowl so the food flies all over. Perhaps it's a Beagle hunting thing.

Anyway, this is supposed to be about how NICE the day has been. So we'll skip the present.

We woke up to a rainy morning, which was actually very nice. It has not really rained since the end of October so we needed the moisture and I didn't mind the change from the sunny blue skies we have been enjoying. We had home group today, so I made a huge pot of soup for lunch. It was a peaceful morning. Even had time for a second cup of coffee with my husband. Especially good since he will not be home until after the kids are in bed.

On my way to pick up Matt 2 (we have had a procession of British Matts in our church so we number them now :) ) at the train I stopped and got a bag of firewood. Sam and Troy went down and got 4 loaves of hot crusty bread and we sat around the table with our big pot of soup, bread & butter and hot tea. The fire was cheery and as always, the warmth of our group soothed me.

We are currently doing a study on the "Top Ten Chapters of the Bible" and today was Psalm 23. As we were going through it, it started pelting down rain and there were even a few good thunder peals (I love thunder and lightning.) After awhile it turned to snow and it was coming down fast and furious, with some more thunder thrown in. It was beautiful. There was something amazing about the wonderful combination of simple hearty food, friendship, the fire, the pastoral images of Psalm 23, and the coziness of the contrast between the warmth inside and the cold but gorgeous snow outside. The title I had come up with for Psalm 23 was "Restoration at the hand of my Shepherd."

And it totally fit the day. Even now, it's peaceful. The dog curled up and went to sleep in her bed, Meg is diligently working on homework after having tried the "this will make me too tired" speech on Mom and find it didn't work AGAIN. Nic has gone off on some important 5-year old quest which probably involves collecting bits and pieces of random things from all over the house and putting them in some bag.

He restores my soul.

Maybe tomorrow the ADSL pack will come. I may throw my arms around the delivery man.

6 comments:

Sophie said...

Heather... Your blog is on my fav's and I had been wondering why your MSN messenger never came up online anymore...(as it used to always be!!) Now after yesterdays blos (which I may add I could not get through without skipping!) I understand the reason for your internet absence.
Anyway, good to have you almost back...just wanted to say ...Look out Lisbon here we came....Yes I am so looking forward to it. You too?
Love Sophie
Ps...check out my blog sometime!

Kelly said...

Despite the fact that you excercised your spiritual gift of sarcasm, I'd still give you a 7 out of 10 on the "warm fuzzy blog entry" scale. :) Nice work.

Matt said...

Ah yes, the Sunday group. I really enjoyed it too, and only partly because there was enough soup to swim in without touching the sides too much, and I am a food fan. As anyone who knows me will know.
Something about the Sunday group really hits me each time: the tone is funny and relaxed but also interesting and manages to be relatively "profound" (I hate using that word) every time. So yeah, you guys rule. And if that isn't too warm and fuzzy, I don't know what is. I'm English, I'm supposed to be sarcastic and rude, or at least so stupidly polite that I never tell people how I really feel.
Maybe that's the effect of the Sunday group.....anyway, see you next week!
Matt 2

philxan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
philxan said...

Hey Heather! Its just good to have you back! When we were looking for an ADSL provider, somebody actually tried to convince me that "24 x the normal dialup" speed as 12 times faster than the "slower" 12 x dialup!

Is everybody Ok, after the blast we heard about, and, what are the others in the Top Ten?

TC&GB, pk

Troy said...

A beautifully written story, my love! I'm still praying for the ADSL line to show up!

T